Library and Computer Application
Computer is one of the most powerful tools to solve problems that involve in computation and data processing. Mechanization of library house-keeping (house-keeping means activities related to acquisition of library resources, classification, cataloging, resources circulation/issue & return, serial control, stock verification, resources maintenance etc.) operations and other activities predominantly done by computer is known as library automation. Library automation is also known as Library Management Software. Software may be package software or customizable software.
3) Serial control
4) Circulation (borrowing & return)
5) Information retrieval
6) Automatic indexing
7) Resource sharing (through networks)
8) Online interactive system
9) Online catalog search for library holdings
10) Online reading of library resources/holdings
Again application of computer in library can be categorized to the following:
2) Information storage, retrieval and dissemination
3) Supporting Management Information System (MIS) for library professionals, particularly in analyzing library statistics, preparing reports etc.